Thinking of decluttering or need to earn some extra cash to cover bills? Whatever the reason, selling your stuff online is a great way to get rid of things you no longer need and make some money in the process.
There are many different ways to sell online, from large marketplaces like eBay and Amazon, to smaller sites that specialize in specific items or categories. To help you choose the best option for selling your stuff, we’ve compiled a list of the best websites to sell stuff online.
But first lets take a look a what a Marketplace really is?
What Is A Marketplace?
An online marketplace is a platform where buyers and sellers can trade goods and services. Marketplaces are typically hosted by a company that takes a commission from each transaction, and they provide the infrastructure for the buyer and seller to connect and complete a sale.
Online marketplaces have become a popular way to make some extra income. The two largest players in the space are Amazon and eBay. there are also a number of other options, such as Etsy and Bonanza. Each platform has its own strengths and weaknesses, so it’s important to choose the one that makes the most sense for what you’re selling.
For example, if you’re selling handmade goods, Etsy is likely to be a better fit than Amazon. On the other hand, if you’re looking for the fastest possible sale, Amazon is likely to be your best bet. While listings on the largest sites tend to sell quickly, the fees associated with selling can eat into profits.
For those looking to maximize their earnings, smaller sites like may be a better option. With less traffic but lower fees, it may take longer to find a buyer, but more of the selling price will go into your pocket. Whether you’re looking for a quick sale or want to maximize your earnings, it’s important to weigh your options and decide which platform is right for you.
The Big Players – Online Selling sites
eBay is one of the most popular online auction and online selling sites, and for good reason. With over 157 million active buyers worldwide, there’s a good chance you’ll be able to find a buyer for just about anything. You can sell just about anything on eBay, but it’s best for selling electronics, fashion, collectibles, and home goods.
What you need to know
- The company charges a simple fee structure for most items, taking 10% of the final sale price, which includes shipping costs but not taxes.
- If users post more than 50 items in a month, eBay starts charging them 30 cents per listing over 50. eBay also offers various promotional and upgrade options for listings, such as reserve prices, which come with associated fees.
- For most product categories, the fee to set a reserve price is $5 or 7.5% of the reserve price — whichever is greater, with a maximum fee of $250. This fee is charged whether or not the item sells. Overall, eBay provides users with a convenient way to auction and sell secondhand goods.
If you’d like to learn more than check out our post on how to sell on eBay.
Amazon is the world’s biggest online marketplace, and it offers a wide range of products for sale. You can sell pretty much anything on Amazon, from books to fashion. In addition to being a retailer, Amazon also offers services like fulfillment and marketing to help you sell your products. Amazon is a great option if you’re looking to reach a large number of potential customers.
What you need to know
- Amazon’s fee structure is slightly more complex than other and charges several kinds of fees on items sold, depending on what kind of selling plan you have.
- For example their standard Individual selling plan, you’ll pay Amazon 99 cents per item sold, plus a referral fee. The referral fee is a percentage of the item’s total sale price, including shipping costs but not taxes, and generally ranges from 8% to 20%. The upgraded Professional selling plan requires a $39.99 monthly subscription fee, but you don’t have to pay 99 cents per item as you do with the Individual plan.
- Which is a great option if you plan to sell a lot of items. However, keep in mind that you’ll still have to pay those pesky referral fees and closing fees on media items. Overall, though, Amazon is a great platform for selling your stuff online.
If you’d like to learn more than check out our post on how to sell on Amazon
Etsy is one of the best websites to sell stuff. The online marketplace focused on handmade, vintage, or custom items. Etsy has been growing in popularity in recent years, and it’s now one of the most popular options for online shopping. If you make your own jewelry, sell furniture you’ve upcycled, or have any other kind of unique item to sell, Etsy is likely to be a good fit. Because the site is less geared towards mass-produced items, it’s a great option for those looking to stand out from the crowd.
What you need to know
- You pay 20 cents to list an item and then a 5% transaction fee on the sale price of the item, not including shipping.
- If you use Etsy Payments to process your payment, you’ll be charged an additional 3% plus 25 cents.
- You also have the option to upgrade your listings with featured placements and promoted listings, which come with additional fees.
If you’d like to learn more than check out our post on how to sell on Etsy
Facebook Marketplace is a great resource for buying and selling items locally. With this service, you can buy home decor, furniture and more with just a few clicks. Additionally, it’s easy to set up an account to use the Marketplace, as no fees are required for listing or selling items. When you successfully sell something through the Marketplace, only a Service Fee of 5% is applied to your final sale price. An additional final Value fee may be applied if the transaction amount exceeds $750 USD as well. As such, it’s vital that you know the product’s dimensions and weight so proper Service Fees may be charged – yet still provide you with much-needed extra cash.
What you need to know:
- Facebook Marketplace is a great resource for shoppers and sellers alike, and their fees are a crucial part of maintaining their services.
- When you make a sale, Facebook automatically deducts a selling fee from your payout. This fee is either 5% per shipment or $0.40 for shipments of $8.00 or less; you keep the rest of your earnings. To give an example, if you’re fulfilling an order with multiple items in 2 shipments and the first shipment is $10.00 USD, Facebook will deduct $0.50 for the selling fee.
- The flat fee of $0.40 applies to any shipment of $8.00 USD or less, including taxes and payment processing costs, so you don’t have to worry about any hidden fees!
- On top of this, Facebook uses these fees to fund various programs in order to provide buyers and sellers with the best possible online experience – another huge plus!
Whether you’re selling a piece of furniture or a car – Facebook Marketplace will take the hassle out of selling unwanted items. What’s more, it puts your products in front of potential buyers across the local community. So if you’re one of those determined to declutter their homes but don’t know how – look no further than Facebook Marketplace!
Bonanza is an online marketplace similar to Amazon and eBay where you can sell new and used items. The site has been around for over 10 years and is a popular option for those looking to sell online. Bonanza focuses on giving sellers the tools they need to be successful, such as powerful search engine optimization features. The company also offers excellent customer service and support.
What you need to know:
- Bonanza charges fees based on the sale price of your item, plus any amount of the shipping cost over $10. So if you sold an item for $20 and shipped it for $13, your fee would be based on a price of $23.
- Bonanza charges you 3.5% of this price; in our example, you’d pay about 80 cents.
- There’s a minimum fee of 50 cents per item. For items that sell for $500 or more, you pay 3.5% on the first $500 and then 1.5% of the amount over $500.
- Bonanza also offers to advertise your listing across the web in exchange for a higher percentage fee. This makes it easy for you to make money from sales on Bonanza without having to worry about advertisement costs.
Overall, Bonanza is a great way to make money by selling items online. Thanks to its wide range of products and services, users are sure to find something that interests them.
Ruby Lane is one of the best online marketplaces, offering sellers a great opportunity to buy and sell stuff such as art, antiques, collectibles, furniture and Jewellry both locally and globally. Whether you’re looking to get those vintage items off your hands or find something unique to add to your collection, Ruby Lane has you covered. What’s more, by following the easy step-by-step tutorials provided on their site, anyone can get started selling in just a few minutes!
What you need to know:
- They have lengthy listing requirements and a very reasonable fee structure.
- A flat $25 maintenance fee per month for unlimited item listings and an additional 9.9% service fee based on purchase order total capped at $250 there are no hidden costs so buyers know what they’re paying from the start!
Be sure to check out Ruby Lane for your Buy & Sell needs today!
How To Choose The Right Website Or Place To Sell Stuff Online?
As you can see there are a few options to choose from when it comes to selling your stull online. Here is a few things to take into account when you are trying to decide which to choose from..
- How much you plan on selling
- what type of product you are selling
- if you want to be able to advertise your product
- Cost and fees
- How user-friendly the site is
- The customer service of the site
Depending on what is most important to you, you should be able to decide which website would work best for selling your stuff online.
My last and final option to sell online….
Create Your Own Online Store
If you’re looking to start selling online, you might be debating whether to use a marketplace like eBay or Amazon, or to build your own store. There are pros and cons to both approaches, but if you’re not looking forward to fee deductions, limited control over your listings, and direct competition with veteran sellers, building your own store might be the better option for you.
These days, it’s easier than ever to build a professional-looking website without needing any coding knowledge. Thanks to eCommerce platforms like Shopify and WooCommerce, anyone can create an online store and start selling products within a matter of minutes. Not only do these platforms take care of the technical side of things, but they also provide a wide range of features and tools to help you run your business effectively. So if you’re thinking of starting an online store, don’t be discouraged by the thought of building a website from scratch – with today’s eCommerce platforms, anyone can do it.
There you have it. A fully comprehensive list of the best online auction, Selling sites and Marketplaces for you to choose from when you want to sell stuff online.
I hope this was helpful and that you are able to find a selling platform that best suits your needs. If you’re looking got some more information and hints and tips about selling online, then check out out guide on How to Sell Online
Best of luck with your new online selling site.